Beauty is not so much what you see, but what you dream.
~Old Proverb~

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

~Lampshades and Curtains~
I first grew interested in making lampshade covers when I seen the cute ones my friend Emily had made for her home. She told me it was like making tiny skirts. :) I thought that sounded pretty easy so I tried it out. While it probably wasn't as easy as I had hoped, after a few tries I had made several that I liked.
The yellow one I made for my bedroom lamp when we first moved in to our new house and the pleated one with the gingham bow I made just recently to replace the sad little shade covering the lamp in the living room. It's so fun to make your own shades because you can pick the styles and colors to suit your own decorating needs, and everything you need is usually right in you're own sewing basket!

For this one I used two tea towels sewn together... I pleated them around the top of the lampshade to fit, just like a little skirt, and then I sewed up the back seam and tied the gingham bow around the top because it matched the fabric in the curtains and the coffee table runner.
This one I made for my bedroom... I wanted something light and feminine, so I chose to add a ruffle to the bottom, and make it a drawstring "skirt" instead of a gathered or pleated one. I cut fabric in the shape of an a line skirt, then I hemmed it and made a casing at the top. I threaded a ribbon through the top and there it was! As sweet as could be! :)
We had also been thinking about the curtain situation in the living room for a while...we had been considering buying new curtains, but they are just so expensive! Instead we tried this new idea that I got from a friends mother (check out my friends blog here: http://rural-legacy.blogspot.com/)

The secret to their cost effectiveness lies in the fact that the triangles are merely tea or dinner napkins ironed in half and then lain over the center of your curtain rod. It is so cute when you change up the napkins for each room or use one common one throughout the house and then change up the accent napkins. It also works delightfully for the changing seasons and holidays, and its so blessedly easy on the pocket book...cost of this set times 3 windows: $8.00.... :)

My next project is a making a new shower curtain for my bathroom. Pictures to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers