Beauty is not so much what you see, but what you dream.
~Old Proverb~

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Common and Ordinary?

Today a lady came to our house...She was no ordinary lady...At first glance she was not was you would think of as anyone special...she wore sweats and a sweater and a fuzzy crochet cap to frame her crown of white curls. She looked to be about 80 and had barely any teeth. My Dad called me into the living room to meet her (apparently one of Dad and Mama's old friends) and I was immediately taken in! She took my hand and my sister's hand in her own and gazed warmly at us smiling. It was perhaps the sweetest and most genuine smile I had ever seen! She began to talk to my mom, but I couldn't help feeling that I had just been blessed!
The most beautiful spirit of godliness surrounded this aged woman! It just radiated from her! She talked so joyfully about all the blessing God has bestowed on her and her thankfulness was deeply encouraging to listen to! She related stories to my parents about the "old days", talked of family and friends, but everything kept coming back to the Lord. His gracious ways, mercy and great love. What a witness and example!
After she and her son left, my family sat visiting together and Dad told us that this sweet lady had endured so many hardships in her life. He told us that she had lost her son for some time to the world and that she had faithfully prayed for him every day! What a courageous and inspiring prayer warrior! The Lord had heard her prayers and that son was with her today visiting with my Dad about God's grace in his life! What a testimony!
I felt so blessed and inspired and soooo encouraged to have been able to meet this wonderful lady! Her life is one of constant witness! I can't imagine that she would be able to go into even a grocery store without encouraging and uplifting someone! There was not a bitter or negative word about her, and she may actually have had good cause for such in the past! But instead it was all joy and thanksgiving and hope!
What a challenge for us as christians! Perhaps we don't look like anyone extraordinary. Maybe we can't talk eloquently or aren't really up to par in the fashion department, but all of that could hardly matter less in God's eyes. He cares about the state of our hearts and wether what we say and do brings glory to him. I can imagine His heart was blessed today as well, when a little old lady sat in a living room full of people and without a thought, praised and glorified Him! She was so in love with Him that her mind couldn't stray from him for a minute! Everything kept coming back to Him! Oh to be like that! Oh to be like Christ!
May the Lord bless her!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers